Written by Sally Sinor, Project Archivist
The department of Biology has existed at the University of Nebraska-Kearney since its inception as a State Normal School in 1905. The third floor of the Administration building contained four science laboratories, lecture rooms, and a storeroom. Miss Carrie Ludden was one of the first biology instructors at the Normal School. She began as an assistant in the department in October of 1906, but because of her ability she was placed in charge by 1912.
UNK Archives and Special Collections is proud to care take the materials of the Biology Department as well as collections from faculty members such as Dr. William Bruner and Dr. Joseph Springer.