Written by Susan Mueller, Coordinator of Collection Services
Fall brings with it many things: the changing colors of leaves, cooler temperatures, heavy knit scarves, pumpkin spiced lattes, and most notably, major literary awards in the categories of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and young adult literature.
The start of the season is marked by the Man Booker Prize’s announcement of their short list for fiction finalists, along with the National Book Foundation long list of candidates for the poetry and young adult literature categories in the National Book Awards.
The Calvin T. Ryan Library collects many of the major book awards and adds them to the library’s collection. The following list of winners from last year (2014) is just a sample of the titles added to the collection and may be checked out. The 2015 titles are just now being selected and ordered.
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (Little Brown)
- The Flick by Annie Baker
- The Internal Enemy: Slavery and War in Virginia, 1772-1832 by Alan Taylor
Biography or Autobiography
- Margaret Fuller: A New American Life by Megan Marshall
- 3 Sections: poems by Vijay Seshadri
- Toms River: A Story of Science and Salvation by Dan Fagin
- Become Ocean by John Luther Adams
Man Booker Prize
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan
The Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence in Fiction and Nonfiction
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism by Doris Kearns Goodwin