Written by Patrick Hargon, Assistant Director, Learning Commons
The Learning Commons announces three new support services available this spring: The Writing Studio, Speech Tutoring, and PRAXIS Math Workshops. Students from any class and skill level are welcome to attend.
The Writing Studio is a peer-led workshop for students wanting to improve their writing style and gain confidence as a writer.
- A tutor leads students through writing exercises, and the group discusses how the exercises apply to different types of writing.
- Please click here for an overview of the activities covered each week.
- The Writing Studio is held in the basement of the library in the Curriculum Classroom (just to the left of the big computer lab) from 6-7 p.m. on Thursday nights.
Speech Tutoring is an opportunity for individual students or groups to practice presentations in front of a peer audience and a tutor.
- Students gain confidence practicing speeches/presentations in a low-stakes, supportive atmosphere.
- Group Speech Tutoring is held in the library’s Curriculum Classroom from 7-9 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday nights.
- One-on-one speech tutoring is still available through the Writing Center by making an appointment at the Learning Commons Welcome Desk.
PRAXIS Core Math Workshops help build problem-solving skills and confidence through a series of topic-specific sessions.
- Collaborative and individual review activities focus on identifying and using key information in math problems.
- Online test resources will be used and shared to promote independent studying outside of the workshops.
- Workshops are slated for the next four weeks: students can attend any of the four workshops offered or all of them for a comprehensive review. Click here for more details.